When you experience anxiety, stress or PTSD, you may encounter the following symptoms, for example:
Mental anxiety symptoms
- Difficulty concentrating, constantly feeling 'on edge'. Finding it hard to communicate, negative 'what if' thought spirals, irritability, easily distracted
Physical anxiety symptoms
- Sleep issues, dizziness, drowsiness and tiredness, pins and needles sensation, heart palpitations, increased heartbeat, muscle aches, pains and tension, excessive sweating, shortness of breath, nausea, bowel or bladder problems, tension headaches
When should I get help with my anxiety?
If you're unsure if your anxiety is normal or becoming an anxiety disorder, ask yourself the following questions to get more clarity.
- feel regularly worried, tense, irritable or always on edge?
- have irrational fears?
- feel affects your work or relationships?
- drink more or use prescription or recreational drugs to cope with your anxieties?
- feel that something terrible will happen if you don't do certain things in a particular way?
- routinely avoid certain situations because you feel anxious about them?
- suffer from panic attacks with physical symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, nausea or stomach pains?